Author Topic: What was YOUR Biggest Tech Nightmare?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Adam

• Administrator
What was YOUR Biggest Tech Nightmare?
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
Mine was my first real hands on experience with Active Directory and Group Policy..

We had a massive server failure and lost everything on a Thursday evening. Friday was spent troubleshooting and trying to get the server back up and running but eventually found a mass data loss from a bad RAID card that fried just about everything. Friday evening we got a new server and installed Server 2008 R2 - which ended up failing miserably after some OS Updates.. thanks Microsoft. After the OS Failure we installed Server 2012 and I got to work recreating and learning as I went through the hells of getting an entire domain up and running, all systems reconnected and authenticated and all users/usergroups/security groups created.

It was about a 60 hour shift with a few naps at my desk in my office.. but on Monday morning, when I happened to be off, I was able to get everyone their new logins and we were back up and running - minus some data of course.

Other than that.. I used to work for GeekSquad.. every day consisted of Tech Nightmares but the worst nightmares there were generally the people. Nobody likes a pissed off person throwing their camera, phone, laptop or stereo at them...

So what's your biggest tech nightmare?

-Adam

Offline Blasthoff

• Administrator
Re: What was YOUR Biggest Tech Nightmare?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:19:46 AM »
I can see how that could raise a little sweat. Sounds like the kind of thing that becomes fun only in hindsight. I used to do computer repairs for folks who couldn't afford GeekSquad. In other words, I did a lot of free work at cost. lol I would love to make a few bucks on computers now that I'm retired, but then, I might have to deal with the nightmare of working with some people who can be impossible and there is always one of those around. I would deal mostly with hardware problems or maybe virus/malware removal. More or less cut and dry stuff. What you did with the server is REAL work. I can appreciate it.

Offline toddmack

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »
Everything related to Sage Accounts.

Resulting in not getting paid and spending hours re-installing an admin block of workstations with Windows just because sage is a filthy dirty bit of un-uninstallable shite!

Then my DC++ rig going down during the peek of our p2p days!

That wasn't cool. Took a lot of time and money to fix.

TM

Offline MikaelaArsenault

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
My biggest tech nightmare was in August of last year not long after I got back from my vacation. Computer got really bad and wouldn't work properly, so it got corrupted and the hard drive was gone after that.