Author Topic: Verification Methods  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Adam

• Administrator
Verification Methods
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »
Hello Everyone!

Due to the spambots still being able to register through the verification.. I'm looking into a different method of verification upon registration.

I'd like all of your input on which method should be implemented:

1. Security Questions
          These would include anything from the name of the board to 2+2=? They would need to be thorough enough that a bot or spammer wouldn't bother but still encourage a user to register.

2. Avatar Selection
          This is a module for SMF that requires a user to select an avatar from the gallery to be able to complete their registration. This is one of the preferred methods of verification but also turns a lot of users away at the thought of having to select something generic ( It can be changed after registration is completed but a new user wouldn't be aware of this just yet. ) While it's the preferred method of verification, I've seen a few forums that have moved away from using it as it has discouraged a standard user from finalizing their registration.

3. Increasing the difficulty of the reCAPTCHA
          SMF has a default reCAPTCHA system in place and pools from a large variety - I've done a few tests and found that I generally get the "Check this box if you're human!" which.. doesn't really prove that you're a human as we have seen. Increasing the difficulty creates eye strain and all that glorious fun of having to refill registration forms after failing a few times. These tend to push users away from registering if they are too difficult.

These are just three methods that I've come up with on a whim so if you have any other input or would like to see one of these implemented please let me know! I tend to enjoy including the masses when it comes to change and this place has been a home to many of you for quite some time.. so please discuss!

-Adam

Offline doc6558

• Administrator
Re: Verification Methods
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Adam,

If I set my browser to remember me once I log in will this change of verification of any affect ?
If not, quite happy to have any method you choose

Offline Bambo

• Administrator
Verification Methods
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »
No Doc it only will HOPEFULLY make it harder for spammers to register (The other day I deleted 62 all from the same member)

Offline Nellypoo

Re: Verification Methods
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
If the link in the verification email could be sent as plain text, to be copied and pasted, as opposed to a clickable link, would that make any difference?