Author Topic: Anyone ever dig into their family history?  (Read 761 times)

Offline MindsEyes

Anyone ever dig into their family history?
« on: February 24, 2022, 11:13:55 PM »
Quite a few years back, i started digging into my family history due to medical conditions i had developed at the time, that no one else in my family has. This led to the discovery that my biological grandfather is half black, half white. Located his nephew, at this time he had died. Spoke with the nephew for a few weeks, but in the end, he wouldn't share any information due to his sister. And our conversation ended with, "You won't like this side of the family."

Skip a head a few years and I started doing more research. Over the course of the last 10 years, i've documented quite a bit about my ancestors. Thanks to pre-published genealogy books, I've been able to trace ancestors on both my great grandparents side back to the US Revolution and further.

Both side of the family line come from Crown Loyalists. On my great grandmothers side, she is the descendant of the White family. The White family had a big hand in both the US Revolution as well as helping found what is now New Brunswick Canada.

Due to the death of one of the White family members, it kicked off what is known as the Asgill Affair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgill_Affair

After the war, what I've been able to find, roughly 90% of both sides of the family went to Canada. Only a few went back to England.
They settled in and around what is now New Brunswick.

I am still missing a lot of documents for the 4th and some 5th generation of ancestors, between the books, what documents I have from marriage, death, land ownership, wills/probates, it's been a fantastic ride with a lot of bumps and frustration. I still have sooooo much to do, but have been on hiatus. Between work and life, i get burned out with the research.

It's not much, but it's one way i've been able to share what i've found was putting up a site: https://harrisancestry.com/index.php 
My end game is to write a book that connects the ancestors of the war to the modern generations.

"To one’s own mind, the sanity of reason lay somewhere among the dreams and nightmares of the conscious. Yet it still remains that, insanity is what makes the living world look sane."

Offline Bambo

• Administrator
Anyone ever dig into their family history?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 12:50:38 AM »
Well goodness it sounds like you found alot of good stuff out minds :)

I havent ever l00ked into mine but I hear we are all related,so Maybe we all are part of the same big family?

Nice to see ya buddy,thanx for posting!!